What Is Problem Gambling?
Problem Gambling definition (NCPG):
-Any gambling behavior that causes disruptions in any major life area -- psychological, physical, social, or vocational
What Are Some Warning Signs?
Is Someone You Know?
- Preoccupied with gambling
- Secretive about his/her gambling habits, and defensive when confronted
- Increasing bet amounts when gambling in order to achieve the desired excitement (“high”)
- Trying unsuccessfully to control, cut back or stop gambling
- Restless or irritable when not gambling
- Gambling when distressed (helpless, guilty, anxious, depressed).
- “Chasing” losses with more gambling
- Lying to family and others about the extent of gambling
- Jeopardizing or losing relationships, jobs, or educational or career opportunities because of gambling
- Relying on others to bail him or her out relieve money problems caused by gambling
The good news is if you or someone you know is showing any of the signs of behavior above, HELP IS AVAILABLE. Call our free hotline now at 1-800-GAMBLER to be directed to resources in your area.